1) Ashley's mother Lorraine Rhodes gave birth to her at just seventeen. This was her mother, her one and only mother. When she got put into foster care at just age two, Ashley was attached to her. Lorraine promised Ashley that one day she would get her back. Lorraine never got her back, and never made any attempts, and as Ashley got older, she realized that her mother didnt want her. Through all the foster homes she was at, her only hope was her mom would one day soon come back for her.
2) Ashley's mother had hooked up with a drunk one night, and ended up marrying him. She soon found out she was pregnant, but lost the baby when the baby was just a few days old. She did nothing but put the baby in a box, and told Ashley she could never speak of this again.
3) Her mother, Lorraine, had gotten pregnant by this man again. This time she had the baby and it lived. This was Ashley's little brother Luke. He also gets taken away from Lorraine at the same time as Ashley. Ashley felt like she had to keep a close eye over her brother at all times. She felt as if she was his mother, his protector. They end up getting separated in foster care, but brought back together many times. This is the only thing left of her family Ashley has to count on.
4) Ashley was taken into foster care at just age two, a very young age for a baby to be taken into foster care. She was way too young to understand why she could not be with her mother who she had loved and adored so much.
5) The next nine years of her life, she spent bouncing back and forth from foster home to foster home, not one family wanted a little girl like Ashley. Sometimes she was in foster homes with her brother Luke, other times she was not. As she got older she realized why she was in this position, and realized her mother was not going to come back for her. She was put into fourteen different foster homes before someone would adopt her.
6) While in foster care, her foster parents would take her, and also Luke's foster parents when they weren't together would take him, to see their mother and Luke's father Dusty. Plenty of times Lorraine would not show up. Dusty would always show up, thats when Ashley began to look at him as a father figure and she kept telling herself that Dusty would soon get them back and they would be living with Dusty and not Lorraine. Lorraine always promised Ashley she would be able to get them back soon enough. As Lorraine's vists became less frequent, Ashley stopped believing her.
7) Ashley and Luke got placed into the care of their Grandfather in South Carolina. The Florida foster care system was not too good with keeping up to date with them, so their case was all over. They were both very happy here, especially because their grandpas lady friend, Adele was like a mother to them. They lived in fear, known that at any moment they could be removed from here. Adele and Grandpa were not married, and because of Grandpa's recent history of being in jail, the foster care system could remove them at anytime. She was very happy, she felt like she was in a dream because there was finally a motherly figure in her life taking care of her. Grandpa got shot, but he lived, thats when the foster care decided to pull them out of there. Adele promised she would try her hardest to become a licensed foster parent, but never did.
8) Luke and Ashley got sent to live with Majorie Moss, a very mean foster mother. The house was packed with kids. She would punish the kids by shoving hot sauce down their throats, or making them go into squatting positions for long periods of time. She abused the kids and none of the case workers would see that or listen to the kids when they came to check up on them. One time she even tried to drown Luke because of something he did. She would not let the kids have any of their belongings from their other homes, and would hardly ever even feed them. If one of the kids had happened to pee the bed, they would have to sleep in it. When they showered, they all had to use the same water.
9) Both of the kids got put into a group home for foster kids. They both loved the group home. Everyone treated them so good, compared to all the foster homes they had been too. In the group homes they would go to picnics, and do things together. There would always be potential adoptive foster parents at these outings scouting out kids they would like. Luke got picked first, and then did Ashley.
10) Ashley ended up getting adopted by these parents that had been watching her at outings. They were a very loving nice family. They had two older sons, and these kids became Ashley's siblings. Gay and Phil were her adoptive parents names. She did not like them at first, but she grew to love them. They are now the most important people in her life. She couldn't ask for any better people to have adopted her(Her website). When she was younger, and they had first adopted her, the judge had to ask her if this is what he wanted, and these are the parents she wanted. Her response was "I guess so." or the "three little words".